- Blacktop Coffee - Located at 826 East 3rd Street this shop is serving one of the best mochas (they call it a chocolate) I have ever had. They use Sightglass Coffee (out of San Francisco) and Parliament Chocolate (out of Redlands) to form a wonderful, bittersweet drink that will leave you wanting more.
- Stumptown Coffee Roasters - Located at 806 S Santa Fe in the Arts District is one of my personal favorite chain coffee shops. While the term chain may bring up bad thoughts of burnt coffee, Stumptown is far from that. They have many different cold brew options, pour overs in a chemex or a french press, and of course any espresso drink you could ask for. It is always a must for my fiancé and I when we go through Los Angeles
If you are in Downtown LA and needing a coffee fix, check out these places.
- G and B Coffee - Located in the Grand Central Market, G and B is one of the most famous specialty shops in Los Angeles. One of the main owners is Charles Babinski, who was the 2015 National Barista Champion. They use some of the best coffee from 49th Parallel in Vancouver Canada, Ritual Coffee Roasters in San Francisco, and Heart Coffee Roasters in Portland. If you are shopping in the market, be sure to pick up a latte or cold brew to drink to accompany the shopping.
- Elabrew - Located on 127 E 6th St in Downtown, Elabrew is brewing up some fantastic pourovers. This shop is an escape from the busy LA streets with its wonderful art displayed in the shop, and even more wonderful coffee. Be sure to check this place out.
While the rest of these may not fall into a category of location, you still need to check them out.
- Demitasse - Located at 135 S San Pedro St in Little Tokyo, Demitasse is one of the few shops around still using the siphon brewer. The siphon brings a rich body and a very clean flavor, essentially a Chemex on steroids. They also are making some of the best hot chocolate in the world and topping it one of the best marshmallows.
- Bar Nine - Located at 3515 Helms Ave in Culver City, Bar Nine is roasting their own coffee in house and it is quite amazing to boot. Bar Nine is a gorgeous shop and a great place to relax. Their espresso machines are different from anything you have ever seen before. They look like faucets coming up from the counter, only because the rest of the machine is below the counter. It isn't just a gimmick, because the coffee is great.
- Go Get Em Tiger - Located at 230 N. Larchmont Blvd, Go Get Em Tiger is owned by the same owners of G and B coffee. They are producing similar coffee to G and B, which is fantastic, but changing up the atmosphere. Go Get Em Tiger also features wonderful sandwiches and is a fantastic place for lunch. Be sure to get the G and B shake after you are done with lunch, it is a shake made with their espresso and is beyond delightful.
- Menotti's Coffee Stop - Located at 56 Windward Ave, Menotti's is truly a wonderful find in Venice. They are producing some of my favorite coffee in Los Angeles and what sets them apart is their baristas. They are truly skilled and create a wonderful steamed milk which pushes their lattes to a whole new level. Be sure to check them out.